Dekoron Wire & Cable pioneered the development of instrumentation cables starting in the 1940s. Instrumentation cables monitor process parameters such as pressure, flow rate, and temperature and transmit low voltage signals to the instrumentation or process control room.
Instrumentation cables are built in twisted conductor groups, and are available in single and multiple group configurations. Dekoron’s instrumentation cables are used worldwide, most notably in the petro-chemical and refining industries. We have a large number of part numbers in stock, and we can also build cables to your specific customizations.
Additionally, Dekoron has recently added high-temperature application cables. Though the majority of process monitoring applications use 105°C (or lower) rated cables, Dekoron now offers fluoropolymer insulated cables capable of operating in higher ambient temperatures. Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP) and Perfluoroalkoxy (PFA) are both available, with continuous operating temperatures of 200°C and 260°C, respectively. Please contact your customer service representative for more information.
- Bare, Tin-Coated, or Nickel-Plated, annealed copper, in solid, 7-strand, or 19-strand configurations from 20 AWG to 12 AWG and equivalent metric sizes.
- PVC, XLPE, HDPE, or PVC/Nylon.
- Dekoron provides a variety of options for shielding to prevent EMI (electro-magnetic interference) within the twisted pairs and for the overall cable using our patented application process.
- Aluminum or copper tapes with a polyester backing for individual and overall shields, used with drain wires. Drain wires are placed in direct contact with the shield to facilitate grounding and easy termination
- Bare or Tin-Coated Copper Braid is also available.
- Served Wire Armor (SWA), Galvanized Steel or Aluminum.
- Interlocked Armor, Galvanized Steel or Aluminum
- Gardex® Corrugated, Continuously-Welded Aluminum.
- Dekabon® Chemical & Moisture Barrier
- Stainless Steel Braid
- PVC, HDPE, CPE, or TPN (LSZH).
- All cables are printed with required voltage and temperature rating, as well as applicable regulatory approvals.
- All cables have traceability and sequential length markings.
Packaging & Documentation
- Depending on the size of the cable, the products are delivered on wooden reels up to 96” in diameter.
- There is an option to lag wood reels using wooden planks that are secured to the outer edges of the reel to prevent damage to the cable while in transit. The wooden reels are heat-treated to comply with international phytosanitary requirements. Overseas shipments are crated. We also offer light-weight fiber board reels for air freight shipments.
- The ends of the cables, known as the “pig tails,” are exposed on the reels for any testing at the receiving location, but sealed for shipment.
- If requested Dekoron can provide Certificates of Conformance at the time of shipment.
Approvals & Ratings
Dekoron can offer a variety of ratings and standards for instrumentation products. Please discuss the specific rating and approvals with your customer service representative prior to placing your order. Depending on the cable design and selection of armor types, the following approvals are available:
- UL 13 (PLTC & PLTC-ER), UL 2225 (ITC-HL), UL 2250 (ITC & ITC-ER), ICEA S-73-532, BS 5308, EN 50288-7, AS/NZS 5000
Flame Retardancy Standards
- IEEE 1202, UL 1685, VW-1, FT4, IEC 60332
- -50ºC to 105°C, typical. Up to 260°C with fluoropolymers.
Hazardous Zone Classifications
- Class I, Division 1 & 2, and Class I, Zone 1, 2, & 3 Ratings are Available.
Other Options & Standards
- Low Smoke Zero Halogen, per IEC 61034 and IEC 60754
- Conductors per ASTM B3, B33, B8, and IEC 60228, AS/NZS 1125
- REACH & RoHS Compliant.
- ER (Exposed Run) rating is available for many constructions. ER rated cables are designed and tested for impact and crush resistance per UL criteria. With the ER rating, cables are allowed to run outside of trays or conduit for an unlimited distance, provided the cable is supported every 6 feet or less.
Gardex® is a registered trademark of Marmon Specialty Cable
Dekabon® is a registered trademark of Dekoron Wire & Cable